When it comes to serving an indulgent Valentine’s Day dessert, presentation is everything. These tiramisu cups are the perfect choice – an Italian classic, both rich in flavour and light in texture. Not to mention, they look impressive and are very easy to make. With their elegant layers and a generous chocolate topping, they’re guaranteed to impress and delight.
Makes 6 cups
- 225ml strong coffee
- 7.5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rum liqueur
- 225ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 18 sponge fingers
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Mint leaves, for decoration
These tiramisu cups can be prepared the day before Valentine’s Day and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Brew the coffee, then add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of rum liqueur, and set aside.
- Pour the whipping cream into a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Slowly add in the vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract), then cover and set aside in the fridge.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the 2 egg yolks with 5 tablespoons of sugar until the mixture is white and fluffy. Add in the cream cheese and beat until smooth and creamy, then set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Slowly add in 1.5 tablespoons of sugar, then fold into the cream cheese mixture from step 3 (folding the egg whites in gently will keep the filling light and fluffy).
- Blend the sponge fingers in a food processor until you get a fine crumb.
- To assemble, place a teaspoon of crumbs in the bottom of each cup, then spoon in coffee until the crumbs are soaked through.
- Add a layer of the cream cheese filling.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to create another layer.
- For your last layer, sprinkle crumbs on the top and soak with coffee one last time. Finally, top with whipped cream, dust with cocoa powder, and decorate the cups with a small sprig of mint.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve on Valentine’s Day.
Planning a kitchen redesign this year?