This year, forgo the traditional turkey on Christmas Day and give this sumptuous steamed ham a try instead—a delicious recipe courtesy of our good friends at Miele. Cooking the ham at 100°C full steam, until it reaches a core temperature of 70°C, will result in a perfectly cooked and wonderfully tender joint of meat. To finish it off, cook on fan plus at 190°C and baste regularly with a rich glaze for added decadence and depth of flavour.
Festive Glazed Ham
- 1 unsmoked ham joint (Miele recommend a 6kg ham on the bone, but you can also use a piece of gammon).
- 200g dark brown sugar.
- 6 tbsp maple syrup.
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard.
- Steam combi oven.
- Roast probe (such as Miele’s wireless food probe).
- Perforated steam tray.
- Universal baking tray.
- Place the ham joint on a perforated steam tray and insert the roast probe into the thickest part of the meat, avoiding the bone and ensuring the metal section of the probe is fully inserted.
- Place the tray into the oven and cook using the roast probe.
- Cook the ham at 100°C full steam until it reaches a precise core temperature of 70°C (this ensures it won’t be under- or over-cooked, and will still be soft and tender).
- Remove and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove the skin and some of the fat from the ham, then score the remaining fat lightly.
- Place the joint on a universal baking tray.
- Preheat your oven to fan plus 190°C.
- Mix together the sugar, maple syrup, and mustard to make the glaze, then spread over the ham.
- Place the ham in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, regularly basting with the remaining glaze.
- Then it’s time to serve and enjoy! Delicious hot or cold, and perfect for the festive season.
Merry Christmas, to all our lovely customers!